Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Anticipation

While Carly Simon's song "Anticipation" was commercialized, I could relate to equating the song with food. Now when I hear it, I think more of longing for ketchup than love. Almost certainly that is a sign of aging.

The anticipation of a thing is really almost better than the thing itself; the longing for, the building up. My favorite time of the weekend is Friday night, or Saturday morning early before it all starts up and hurriedly rushes by, the happy freedom, the quiet joy of being at home with my sweet husband, life at my own pace. I have always been appreciative of domesticity and the joy in the simple life and that has not waned as I have gotten older.

I am anticipating a drippy Southern-style tomato sandwich on white bread for lunch that I will have to lean over the sink to eat. Although I am a born and bred Yankee, I have lived much more than half of my life in the South and truly enjoy more than a few Southern things - the aforementioned sandwich in particular. It must have mayo, and the bread has to be white (and I am a whole-grain girl through and through.) It is quintessential summer in the south.

7 comments:

  1. are they your own home grown tomatoes? i ate one yesterday but it was a baby. some of mine are coming in very early. tomatoes excite me a lot but i am partial to making gazspacho out of them-my fave summertime cold soup :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love gazpacho! I plan on making some of that too. My tomoatos aren't ready yet, but I have been getting locals from our farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ate a tomato sandwich on whole grain bread because I didn't have white. You are absolutely righr, it was not the same!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lets swap gazpacho recipes. shoot-i forgot to plant peppers. i wonder if it's too late.
    i'm glad you are doing a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging is fun. Here is my favorite gazpacho recipe.
    Gazpacho
    two tomatoes, chopped as small as possible
    one cucumber, peeled and seeded and chopped small
    one red onion, chopped tiny dice
    one green pepper, tiny dice
    one yellow squash, small dice
    can garbanzo beans
    large tomato juice or V8
    half a loaf of hearty bread

    Divide the veges in half and in a blender with some of the tomato juice, pulse it a few times. Pour together in a bowl. Add the following:

    minced garlic
    a splash of worchestershire
    your favorite hot sauce to taste
    any variety of seasonings that inspire

    Cube the bread and saute in olive oil with any favorite mixed seasoning you have, until crunchy. Serve the soup topped with the homemade croutons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best brand of white bread for a "mater sandwich" is Wonder Bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got some fresh bakery white for mine with a nice hard crust and soft inner and LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete