Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Food for a Funeral

There is a common human need to comfort with food when someone has died. The thinking goes that the bereaved have to eat and will not feel like cooking, and that nuturing is a quality I can fully understand, but what is appropriate to make? What would be palatable? I don't want to make something like fruit salad that would get watery in a day, or tossed salad that would wilt. Dessert seems cavalier - something sweet in such a bitter sad time. It is too hot for casseroles and it would be too heavy anyway. I am trying too think of the perfect dish that would be interesting enough to cause the family to consume it, for a second or two taking their minds away from their grief. I am putting too much into this process. I know I cannot do away with their mourning by feeding them, I cannot bring solace with food. All I can do is try. That is all we can do.

4 comments:

  1. What about a nice assortment of snacky stuff. Crackers, cheeses, nuts etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. finger sammies? or crostini with fresh mozz, basil, tomato? artichoke dip with veggies? guacamole & jicama?
    who died?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon's father-in-law, Kate's dad.

    ReplyDelete