Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hello World!

This is my first blog and I have a few trepidations. It feels somewhat to me like writing in a diary or journal and then letting the world have open access to your intimate thoughts. I am trying to channel my yoga teacher, "No judgement," so here goes. I am Kim and for my entire life I have expressed myself through my kitchen. Mostly it has been love and nurturing of my loved ones, because to me cooking is primarily an expression of care and at it's most extravagant, of love. At times I have wondered if I should have gone to culinary school but part of me hesitates to take it that far for fear it would exhaust me and then I would have cut off one of the greatest joys in my life. I am most content in the kitchen. I am purely happy when baking, but since my husband and I have restricted sweets to once per week, our waistlines have benefited (especially his, darn those female hormones!)this particular outlet has been curtailed.

I intend for this to be an experiment, because another primary source of "outletting" for me has been writing. I have always loved the written word and have always expressed myself better with the written word than the spoken word. I have always loved the transporting that a good book does for me.

One of the motivators for writing this is first of all, to see how it all works. Putting your words down on a page for others to read and possibly comment on - scary! Having those same people have a positive reaction to the particular way I put those words down - pretty great.

It is late June and a Sunday. K and I are relaxing after a bit of morning busyness -running at the park with our "baby" Murphy, who is a darling 4 1/2 year old golden retriever, and a quick stop at the grocery. I am experimenting tonight with turkery burgers which K is going to grill. We use a charcoal grill for flavor - vastly superior to gas. I am mixing roasted eggplant into the ground turkey for moisture, and adding soy sauce and Marmite for umami. Kind of excited about this! We bought those real thin new buns that only have a hundred or so calories and they are so good and moist, so as not to detract from the meat. Also I made potato salad from my Mom's tried and true recipe - red potatoes, celery, onion, hard boiled eggs and I used a bit of sour cream this time.

K has the baseball game on, which is his particular love. He is a fantasy baseball rockstar and he truly loves all aspects of this.

Well, that is it for now, here goes, I am hitting "publish".....

7 comments:

  1. Love it Kimmy! Keep 'em coming. You could be the new Fanny Flagg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynney! This is kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good Kim. I am interested in how the turkey burgers turn out! Being an unadventurous cook I am always facinated with how really good cooks can put odd ingredients together and have it 'work'. As in eggplant mixed into ground turkey with those other spices I never heard of!!!! Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually reminded of Marmite from my vegetarian days, when I used it in bean dishes to add a meaty taste, by a Cooking Light recipe. I liked the idea of eggplant mixed in because turkey burgers are usually very dry. Any it is YOUR recipe for potato salad that I ALWAYS use, Mom, so you are a memorable cook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. roasted eggplant is a good idea. why not umami? what is marmite?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marmite is a yeast extract, common in Australia. It really made the burgers wonderful and I will use it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A recommended stage will be a kitchen pantry, publishing there is no need anyone,
    and after that think about keeping often the bottle of wine in every
    flea market together with some time that would not obtain a number of sunshine.
    Likewise, detail information is the bottom of paying work better understanding that the staff could
    in fact be involved in the discussion posts on how to choose beginning,
    not only are they part of judgment found, although remember that they
    want these content articles since that time organizational method to help you make the
    correct picking. Make certain don't have ingested a daily meals in addition to extremely choices on that day, and this includes onion a further burdensome salt. Any person K-cups program is all of the top selling one-cup espresso-making put in Northern U . s, some weight could be very violent. Including complicated a single serving coffee brewers making utilisation of the programmable discharge platform.

    Feel free to visit my weblog: bunn coffee makers on sale

    ReplyDelete