Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Most Important Thing

There are so many elements that contribute to making a great dish and to being a thoughtful cook. Time is one element, but really it is not so important because I believe you can make the most exquisite grilled cheese sandwich. Quality, locally grown ingredients are paramount and nowadays most of us have access to farmer's markets with locally grown produce and interesting tidbits to pick up and experiment with - the jar of homemade jam, a great salsa, an odd melon you had never seen before. The local bookstore carries a super abundance and variety of cookbooks and cooking magazines sure to inspire you to creativity.

The real thing, the most important thing is care and love. Like any hobby or activity, one can just do it - we all need to eat for sustenance and you can mindless place food in mouth and chew. Ever since I became aware of good cooking and the creative process of planning, preparing and serving a great dinner or loaf of bread to my family, I have felt that there is nothing more satisfing I could do with myself. There is nothing so gratifying and whole-making as this endeveour. I love the act of it, the science of it, the healing nature and calming effect it has, and the sweet wholesomeness of being in my kitchen DOING. Life is very good.

2 comments:

  1. i agree. simple is something i have to learn cause i tend to spend too much time in the cocina. a girl i hardly know (used to teach her yoga) is giving me her share of a community garden this week cause she's going out of town. this is what i got-tatsoi, red mustard, broccoli raab, heirloom lettuce, garlic scapes, fresh dill, small red onions. all certified organic. i have NO idea what i'm going to make. i don't even know what tatsoi is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing! I would chop it all up and saute in olive oil. Save the lettuce for a salad tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete